Liver is the largest gland in the human body, and the also the largest organ. It weighs approximately 3 to 3.5 pounds. It is the organ which fat emulsification. If your liver is not healthy you will face problems of not being able to digest fat. It can lead to toxifying of the body.
Liver disease is any disruption in the functioning of liver. The organ is so designed that even a small part of the liver can take up the full functionality. The major symptoms of liver disease are:
- Nausea – It is one of the primary symptoms of liver disease.
- Vomiting – When you cannot digest fat, vomiting occurs very regularly
- Surface of the skin and eyes turning yellow – This is mixing of bile juice secreted by lever.
- Right upper abdominal pain – This is an indication of the liver not functioning properly.
The major diseases of liver are:
- Jaundice – The most common disease. It is a water borne disease. When bile which is required for breaking up fat molecules is produced in excess, then jaundice or Hepatitis occurs. It is of three types Hepatitis A, B and C. The only cure is rest and limiting intake of fat.
- Liver Cancer – Cancer is one of the most common causes of failure. Unstopped growth of cells in liver leads to dysfunction of liver. Its main cause is excessive alcohol consumption, ingestion of chemicals/drugs or sometimes genetics. There is still no cure, and only option is liver transplant.
- Liver cirrhosis – This is due to many reasons and is the last stage of liver disease. The liver shuts down exposing the body to toxins. The result is death and life can only be extended by dialysis, but for a limited period. Transplant is the only option.